Welcome to Pittsburgh Foot and Hand! If you are coming in for your first visit, there are things you should expect and things you can do to help make the appointment more productive and beneficial to your health and recovery. They are listed below:
- Gather Your Medical History. Obtaining a complete medical history is very helpful as we strive to properly and safely treat you. If you have been treated or have had surgery previously for your orthopaedic problem, please obtain those office records and any surgical records from the previous physician's office. We ask that you bring this paperwork to your first appointment, as well as any x-rays, CT scan, MRI, bone scans, or other documented tests previously performed. It is also helpful to have a complete list of all your medications (and their doses), including over-the-counter medicines and vitamins/supplements.
- Obtain a Referral. If you require a referral from your primary care physician in order to see us, you must have your primary care physician send this referral to us prior to your appointment. Without a current and valid referral, we may need to reschedule your appointment, or will require full payment from you at the time of the visit.
- Complete Your Personal Health History Forms (To Avoid a Longer Wait). In order to avoid a long wait prior to your visit, please fill out and complete a Personal Health History form, available on our website underPatient Forms. (If you cannot fill out a history form prior to your visit, please arrive at least 20 minutes before your appointment time in order to complete the form and allow us to enter the information into your electronic medical record.) Note that there are several ways to complete and submit this paperwork:
- After printing the sheet from Patient Forms, you can complete it and fax it to us at 724-933-3332 two days prior to your visit.
- You can bring the completed forms with you to your appointment.
- You may also create a secure Patient Portal on our website and send a completed form back to us two days prior to your visit (note that this is the fastest way to submit your form!).
- Review our Health Information/ Privacy Practices. We are required to have you review our Pittsburgh Foot and Hand Center Health Notice of Health Information/ Privacy Practices. This describes your health information privacy rights under HIPAA, the Federal legislation regarding patient privacy. Upon reviewing this information, we are also required to have you sign the Patient Privacy Form. In addition to having the option to review this information in our office, this form is available on our website under Patient Forms. From here you can do one of the following:
- Sign a privacy form and fax it to us two days prior to your visit.
- Bring it with you at your visit.
- Send a copy back to us through your Patient Portal prior to your visit.
- Sign a copy in the office at your visit.
- Bring ID and Insurance Information. Please bring a current photo ID such as drivers license to your appointment, as well as your insurance card for verification at each visit. New government regulations require this.
- Review Our Financial Policy. Prior to your visit please review our Financial Policy and complete the Patient Financial Obligation Agreement (i.e. sign it and bring it with you to your visit). This will explain your payment responsibilities and options. Also remember co-pays are collected at the time of your office visit. We accept cash, personal checks, major credit cards, and debit cards.
- Dress Right. Bring comfortable clothing with loose-fitting sleeves or pant legs so that the physician can easily examine your pained arm or leg.
Gathering this information and taking these preparatory steps will allow you to experience a more beneficial visit with Pittsburgh Foot and Hand. If there are questions or problems with any of these things, please call us at 724-933-3300 or reach out to us through your Patient Portal.